Wednesday 23 April 2014

I have just had a couple of days in London, first I went to an audition for a summer panto, well it was really for musical theatre people not my kind of panto performer at all, you know singing, dancing, being young! not really my particular panto skills, I'm not a dancer, I'm not really a singer, and I'm certainly not young! I'm just a mature comic panto villain and not even a dame either really so to get there and be told I was auditioning for dame and then put through what for me was a very complicated dance routine was just a waste of their time and mine. Right from the moment I walked through the door and saw a room full of 18-20 year old musical theatre graduates in black lycra and just me a solitary ancient fossil in comparison who is going to be 50 next year I was just thrown completely off balance and felt so "in the wrong place", A couple of other older guys arrived one had the guts to walk out when he found out we were there for the wrong part, you see we'd all been told Abanazar and only later found out it was for a an ugly sister type character, it was hopeless. So learned a lesson there. I think in future I'm going to have to say no to these dance things, these "we just want to see if you can move" I can't, I'm too old end of!

After that I went to see my friend Francesca Anderson from the Phileas Fogg Theatre company in a play she has been working hard on for the last 8 or 9 months I think, it started at a pub theatre in the autumn and has just transferred to the Pleasance Theatre. Not a theatre I've been to before it's a converted carpenters factory warehouse type place, very nice and the play was well performed and very moving with 11 great parts for actresses, no guys at all. Set in a 1950's boarding house for unmarried mothers it was genuinely moving and I even shed a few tears myself at the end. It was directed by Jonathan Rigby who has also been represented by Infinite artists for a while so we compared a few notes.


Fran and her partner Andy let me stay the night in her lovely flat in Crystal Palace  and I came back today, I feel absolutely knackered though. Now I'm sorting stuff out for friday night's Murder Mystery.

Confirmation has come through about an audition on Tuesday in Liverpool but we can blog about that another day.   

No comments: